Thursday 17 June 2010

What is love?



When asked to write a piece about love I felt discriminated against,
bar my unconditional love for the two labradors sitting at the end of
my bed; I have never fallen in love, not once. As I told the polish
receptionist at work today he mocked me and wouldn't believe it, as
when he was twenty one he had been in several long term relationships.
My lack of relationships may be the key to my lack of love.

I generally believe in love, however I think love easily turns into
obsession and habit; when reflecting on relationships of people I know
I don't get one bit jealous of more than half (and I'm one of the most
jealous people I know, my eyes would be green if it weren't for their
natural grey colour), I could actually only name two of which I would
wish to have; and all of the others cause more hassel, stress and pain
than love. It's like the first time you floss after you've brushed
your teeth; you realise nothing good came out but at least you've
learnt something, then again it can make your gums bleed. Which brings
me another question: is it better to have loved and lost rather than
never loved at all?

I recently read an article about why the key to happiness is seen in a
loving relationship. It didn't help me much in figuring out what love
is but it made me realise I might want to feel it so much so I can
empathise with just about every song, book, film, or poem ever
written. Or the plain fact that stupid, ugly people who piss me off
are loved by someone! However my mother would be the first person to
tell me that life just isn't fair.

Unfortunately I can't blame Disney for all my misconceptions and high
standards of love; as I'm not a fan of conventionally beautiful, I
generally like dirty hair, tired eyes, crusty lips, scarred fingers
and thick eyebrows. I will blame them though for the happy ending
myth; the other day it came to me like an epiphany that I'm not
guranteed a happy ending, I'm not even guranteed to be happy. So when
asking my magic eight ball if I will die alone, I got an answer I knew
was coming "outlook is good".

3 comments:

  1. I just came across this lovely blog and this amazing post. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have to find your own way of loving somebody.
    I believe in you being able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God, just came across this blog surfing the web and NEVER before has anybody else been able to verbalise my thoughts on love and relationships so genuinely and precisely!! Love it ;)

    ReplyDelete